What is Terpineol?
Terpineol can be identified by its pleasing lilac or lime aroma making it commonly used in soaps, lotions, and perfumes. In addition to its flowery scent, terpineol is often used in topicals because of its ability to increase skin penetration and act as an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent . However, some of the most encouraging research around terpineol involves its ability to fight certain types of cancer, like breast cancer, chronic myeloid leukemia. and small cell lung carcinoma by hindering the growth of in vitro cancerous tumor cells. In addition to the health benefits, terpineol is also shown to have both sedative and anti-anxiety properties. These relaxed feelings are thought to contribute to the infamous couchlock.
- Batiha, G. E.-S., Olatunde, A., El-Mleeh, A., Hetta, H. F., Al-Rejaie, S., Alghamdi, S., … Rivero-Perez, N. (2020). Bioactive Compounds, Pharmacological Actions, and Pharmacokinetics of Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium). Antibiotics, 9(6), 353. https://doi.org/10.3390/antibiotics9060353
- Bloom Medicinals. (2021, April 15). What are the terpinolene & terpineol terpene effects? Retrieved February 22, 2022, from Bloom Medicinals website: https://bloommedicinals.com/cannabis-education/what-are-the-terpinolene-terpineol-terpene-effect
- Khaleel, C., Tabanca, N., & Buchbauer, G. (2018). α-Terpineol, a natural monoterpene: A review of its biological properties. Open Chemistry, 16(1), 349–361. https://doi.org/10.1515/chem-2018-0040
- Stone, E. (2016, August 16). Benefits of cannabis terpenes: Terpineol, valencene, and geraniol. Leafly. Retrieved from https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/cannabis-terpenes-terpineol-valencene-geraniol
- True Blue Terpenes. (2021, July 12). Terpineol: An underappreciated terpene. Retrieved February 22, 2022, from True Blue website: https://www.true-blue.co/blogs/news/terpineol-terpene
- Varman, R. M., & Singh, S. (2012). Investigation of effects of terpene skin penetration enhancers on stability and biological activity of lysozyme. AAPS PharmSciTech, 13(4), 1084–1090. https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-012-9840-1
- Weedmaps. (2021, July 14). What is Terpineol. Retrieved February 25, 2022, from Weedmaps website: https://weedmaps.com/learn/dictionary/terpineol
- Yao, S.-S., Guo, W.-F., Lu, Y., & Jiang, Y.-X. (2005). Flavor characteristics of lapsang souchong and smoked lapsang souchong, a special Chinese black tea with pine smoking process. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 53(22), 8688–8693. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf058059i